As Time Passes By Slowly..

Category: By Jenson
18.., 19.., 20.., Seconds counting down on a quiet Chinese New Year for her. Laid back on the sofa, alone by herself in the empty living hallway and with a twitch of a muscle, she put up a fading smile and sigh; a fading smile that I could easily decipher. A fading smile that I would assume that in her mind, the living hallway having to be filled with love, joy and laughter. Family I could tell. All her beloved children and grandchildren are there to visit her. After all, it's what all elderly would wish for. I would say that most of us out there never really understand and appreciate what we have now. Not until you realise you're getting old and your life long partner isn't by your side no more. If only anyone of us truly understand what family means.. At the old age of 85, she's still healthy and going strong but for what point she asks herself.. Having to live so long but never did her children or grandchildren really have the heart to visit her even if they did, a simple 'Ma' and off her children to chit-chatting about the latest shopping clothes or how well their business is doing; A simple 'Ah Ma' and off her grandchilren to fiddling their 'respectable' handphones. She sits there alone thinking deep, what's the point of having a Chinese New Year when everyone's busy with themselves?

"Ah Ma, Happy Chinese New Year and I wish you longevity and joy as always"

I walked towards her and wished her. Crouching down and then offered her a bag of fresh mandarins, the warm smile that I missed so much appeared before me. I remembered the smile which always greeted me every everning after my kindergarten class ends at 4. She would wait across the road where the noob driver who would always leave me, a 4 year old kid back then; alone by the road. Cars were zooming pass and devils were lurking at every corner persuading me to take a step forward but I never did. As, my grandmother always shouted to me not to move. Being a good little boy:P, I never budged. My grandmother would always wait 5 minutes before the driver put me down and would walk across the road to walk me back home. She would take care of me everyday judging that my mum was busy taking care of my sister. From there, I knew I had a special bond between me and my grandmother. The loud snort from my obnoxious aunt broke the reminiscence I was having and I realised my grandma's face changed from that instant I wished her a Happy CNY.

Eventhough she thanked me and gave me an angpao, she asked me who I was with a warm smile. I told her that I was one of her grandchildren. She gave me a surprised look as she had completely forgotten about me. The very grandson she took care of and loved dearly. I wouldn't blame it all on her though. I blame it all on her so called sons who had neglected her. The very grandchildren of hers had too contributed to the negligience. Leaving her by herself all day, time slowly ate way her precious memories of the past. If I had insisted on having my grandmother to come and stay with us, it wouldn't had turn out to be like this. I hoped that somehow, someday, she would remember me and say;

"Ah Siong, finish up your fish head! Don't waste food!"

Yes, she was the one who initiate the eternal lust and hunger for fish heads at the very tender age of 4! I wrote all of the above not just because I want to share with you peeps on how much I treasure the memories I had with my grandmother; considering the fact that she asked me who I was 8 times, whether I was married 6 times and why am I here? 11 times; but to highlight on the unwanted elderly in the old folks home around. Seeing the loss of my grandmother's memory due to some negligience, it's the same thing as what the elderly people are facing in the old folk's home. Neglecting your very own parents and then sending them; your parents who took care of you through thick and thin, nurturing you into you yourself today and be there for you when you fall; in return getting repaid by sending them off to an old folk's home and expecting others to take care of them? Giving excuses like I can't support him/her or I got no time for them is totally unacceptable. I ain't gonna drag on about what most beasts out there did. So, let me cut it short and plead;

"Whomever is having loads of free time, why not pay a visit to any old folks home nearby?"

Money isn't what they want, food isn't what they are seeking neither, nor clothing as they have plenty. Instead, why don't anyone out there try and go over and make them smile? To me, their smile would not only lighten up their day but it brings a whole new meaning to their lonely life. Let them know that there's someone out there who will always be there for them and care for them.

Their smile would not only lighten up their day but it brings a whole new meaning to their lonely life.

In the previous post I had mentioned what my dream goal would be. Aside from that, I would want to build up more centres for the unwanted elders or tear down useless and pointless locations and turn them into a centre for the elderly. Start by tearing down AC and any other useless clubs out there. As a matter of fact, I had planned that anyday that I am free, I would certainly go and pay a visit to one old folk's home this year. It's my New Year Resolution. What I had said, I would do:P So do your bit by brightening up their day!


--------------------------------------------------------


If only I have the power to do much more..


-February 5 2009-
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? February 10, 2009 at 2:02 AM
    You wrote a very beautiful story about the bond, the respect and love you have for your grandma. It's very touching.

    My maternal grandma has Alzheimer's and she mistook me for her fav grand-daughter who never visited her anymore. I picked the identity of my cousin to make the old lady happy.

    I felt it was right to do so.
  2. Jenson February 11, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    Aww...I am so sorry to hear bout that. Yea.. My grandmother ain't suffering from any disease but somehow, due to the negligience, she somehow forgotten bout me alrd. Kinda miss my old grandma.. and.. Thanks for dropping by my blog:) Really appreciate it:P

Something to say?