Life of an Elder I Never Knew

By Jenson
Walking aimlessly under the scorching sun and the only thing that's shielding her from the blazing heat is just an old worn out umbrella. Small loop holes on the umbrella can be seen tells how much the umbrella had went through with her. As long as I remembered, it was a couple of years back when I started spotting her walking around the neighborhood in the wee hours of the morning. I was Form 2 then. Waking up at 6, and then setting off for high school at 6.55, I always saw her walking around the field at that particular time. Well, I did talked to her a few times before. I had always wanted to ask her why she walks around the neighbourhood every single day. Doesn't she have her own home to stay? Don't her kids would be worrying sick for her? An elderly woman at this age walking under such unseemingly stable weathers where a scorching day would just change all of a sudden to a thunderstorm? Carrying a plastic bag or a tupperware containing food at certain times, sits under the hut and eats. All alone, no one to care about her. Basically, she walks around the neighbourhood more than the security did their rounds.




What's Life when you're all alone by yourself?..



It was then that I found out from my mum one day about the old lady. She gets kicked out of her own house by her daughter in-law in the wee hours of the morning. As soon as her son leaves for work, she's out. Jeez man. How could her own family do this to her?.. I hereby admit that I have a very soft spot for any elderly person in harsh situations. This particular elder is not an exemption. I was disappointed, disappointed in how her son is treating her after what she had went through to take care of him. I was furious, furious that i couldn't do anything to help her. It's other people's family issues and as an outsider we shouldn't be doing anything. Either way, I continue to see her every single day till I entered college. She was still walking around the neighbourhood everyday. I still do waved to her once in awhile but sadly.. just a few weeks ago, I received the news about the old lady herself. She had passed away due to an over exposed to heat. She had apparently suffered severe headaches. I was upset. Nothing can be done. Just hope that she had a better life in her next life. I can no further comment on anything..

So, where did I get all this story from? About the reason why she was walking everyday in the neighbourhood and why did she died? Well, this auntie of mine stays next door to her house so whenever she drops by my house to see my mum she starts talking. I on the other hand, starts listening o.O..


--------------------------------------------------




Walking down the empty route..

--------------------------------------------------







Seeing you really brightens up my day. Even so, I rarely see you around..


-Jenson-
October 7 2008

 

1 comment so far.

  1. Dental students :) October 7, 2008 at 8:15 AM
    lol... such sad story... never thought you are this emo... lol

Something to say?