They Say Yes, We Say No

Category: By Jenson


Little did I know that a relationship between a father and son usually turns sour when we reach a certain age; how do we know that? It's when we find that what they have to say are completely unacceptable. Yes, unacceptable. We can't really accept what they have to say. They want things or issues to be done their way, but we have our own solutions and thoughts. From here, we tend to quarrel even over the slightest things. From quarrelling over which highway is to be used to get to KL, whether Kesas or Federal to quarelling over a brand of clothes; buying Emporio Armani T-shirts are better than buying QuikSilver surfing pants. It never ends.

I have come to realise that most of us guys out there don't really talk to our fathers. I had always thought that maybe this is just going on between me and my dad but I was so wrong. Quite a huge number of my guy friends have the same problem. I kinda 'interviewed' them asking whether did anyone of them face the same problem and guess what? We all agreed that we were in fact trying our very best to avoid them. Tired of the nagging, lectures or maybe even talking; we quickly finished up our dinner and 'Poof', we disappeared without them noticing. Why talking as well can lead to a squabble? When they are downstairs, we're upstairs. When they are upstairs, we barricade ourselves in our room. Not even a mosquitoe could penetrate the defenses we had set up for ourselves against our father. Communicating is so hard these days for us that we have no choice but to hide from them.

Hey, don't get the wrong idea of me writing on this particular post. I am not trying to bad mouth my own dad alright? In fact, I respect and looked up to him alot even though sometimes I have gotten too far with my words. Hope that he truly forgives me one day for being such a rascal. I also hope that I would do him proud one day. So, no. I am not such a person that would do such things behind their back. Anyway, I am just trying to highlight that most of the guys out there do in fact, have this problem back home. Well unless that you're a very, very obidient son that is. A type of son that doesn't even fight back, even if your dad says that you should stop playing basketball from now onwards. If this really does happen to me, it's equalvailent to my life being taken away from me. Or perhaps, your father said "It's time to trade in your Honda Civic and get you a Kancil." Smiley face to you!:) The reason? The economy's bad and we should really save. He has a reason and he wants it to be done. So what you gonna do? Accept? But frankly speaking, if I am in such situation I would accept and from tomorrow onwards, I be taking a cab. I don't have a Honda Civic but, Jesus! A Honda Civic being trade in for a Kancil. It's like unacceptable isn't it? Hah! How did I ever came up with that? Owh well, moving on...

And so the time came where we would say that they are out of their mind, they have no sense of fun and they are really lifeless. Or maybe they only care about themselves and never think of how we would feel. Now would you guys take those words back? Yes, most of us find it unreasonable when they start scolding us over a small problem. Frankly speaking, even I have this problem too and I am not afraid to admit it. This problem is actually common throughout the world. I can't help but to give examples of certain situations where my friends would find unreasonable; I myself as well.

  • Situation 1 : Complaining that having 10 songs to listen to a day is considered too much and over to them. How about the remaining 761 songs we have if they were to find out?
  • Situation 2 : This is the most common situation I would say. Stop gaming. It's pointless and it's a complete waste of time. Even sitting by the comp they would complain. They suggested that we should do something more resourceful and beneficial. Example? Gardening. If you disagree, then go study now.
  • Situation 3 : Complaining that we are spending too much time texting on the phone. Waste of money, waste of time and hazardous. Yes, hazardous. The radiation given out from the phones are really high.
  • Situation 4 : So we don't game and we don't use the phone. We sit there watching the TV and they complains as well. "When you're not gaming or using your phone, you turn to TV."
  • Situation 5 : Ok fine, so now we don't use the comp, we dont text or call and we don't watch tv. What should we do? We study of course. Substituting the time we game, text or watch tv with studying the whole day then we decide to take a break by having a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, they came back and upon seeing us chilling, they nuke us, "You look so free why don't you go do some work?" How would you react?
Alright, it's a fact that many of us, guys out there do really face this certain problem when it comes to communicating with our dads. So how are we gonna handle it? Back then, I would always go against almost everything on what he say. Whether it's correct or wrong, I still can't accept. I don't know about you guys out there but now I would just agree on what my dad has to say. Even though most of the times I would find it unacceptable, I would just say "Yea, you're right." So, no squabble or quarrelling and it isn't hard to say that out be quiet the rest of the time. Actually, if either one of us give in, everything's settled but from my point of view, I would rather have the sons give in. Accept what your father has to say. After all, he is our beloved and respectable father right? Taking care of us ever since we were brought into this world by our beloved mums. Most of us had come to think that they are actually finding faults in us and hated us for who we were. Always saying that they regretted doing this or that for us. Hey, don't get all fired up and start a fight over this. Calm down and when you come to your senses, you will know that the reason the nagging and lectures they gave us are because they care for each of us.

Bah, getting too sentimental. Peace out!


--------------------------------------------------------------------


I missed those times when my dad used to bring me to the beach back in Penang when I was younger...



-March 8 2009-
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?